Sunday 17 July 2011

The quest for a soft crust loaf...

We get through a lot of bread. I keep my bread in a breadbin these days but somehow it doesn't seem to keep like it used to, I am forever running to the shop because we've run out. I do freeze the odd loaf but somehow I think when it's defrosted, the keeping time is then even shorter. Something has to change, I hate wasting food and everytime I run to the shops, just like everyone else I buy much more than a loaf of bread!!!!

The obvious thing is to make our own but as I was discussing with a friend recently it can be difficult to achieve a soft crust like bought bread...the world and it's lobster seem to be intent on making the crustiest loaf out there but it's just not practical for everyday use!

Well I think I have cracked it. What you need is a milk loaf! Cook it so you only have a very pale crust...Follow that up with rubbing butter over the still hot freshly baked crust and get it into an airtight plastic bag as quick as you can!

get it in a bag quick!

cooking can be a social activity

soft enough to depress

no crustiness there, just the form of my finger!

I will report back on the taste as soon as the jury ( DH and DS ) have made their decision. If it is a success I'm going to work out just how much this will save me on the grocery bill each month...I'm thinking it will also save in fuel from not having to take those extra trips to the store. Hopefully the figures will be enough to keep me baking.

We do have a bakery around the corner. I used to be a loyal customer but IMHO the quality went down hill and not long after I stopped buying they closed, so I can't have been the only one that swapped to supermarket bread. In the last few weeks the bakery has opened again, revamped and under new management but I really would rather make my own if I can. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment