Thursday 2 April 2009

Why I love the feminine arts and vintage style :1

My passions are embroidery and sewing. I do dabble in knitting and crochet too.

I have been pondering as to why I like the Vintage style so much ( read as 1940s/50s ) It certainly isn't because I am a dedicated follower of fashion. I have always liked what we used to refer to as old fashioned...for me it is a fluke that my likes are now in fashion, but when the current trend for vintage fades I shall stick with the style, thus returning to being old fashioned and quite quite content.

I think reason number one is that it calls back to a time when things were not mass produced in the manner they are today. Things were scarce anyway and if you wanted it, you made it. Life was simpler in so many ways, and yes I acknowledge harder too but society had their priorities in the right place.

Handmade items about the home brought respect and value. If you had seen Mother/sister/Auntie or whoever stitching for many hours you are going to respect the work that went into that tablecloth and be just that little bit more careful to not slop a cup of tea over it. If you can't just pop out and buy another one willy nilly, the item, rightly so commands more respect and goes up in value.

I guess with the present economic situation ( eek , I was hoping to never have to refer to that in my posts! ) those values will come back...whilst it may be for not very nice reasons, to return to that way of thinking can only be a good thing, for both society and the planet don't you agree?

Doxie

No comments:

Post a Comment